Tuesday, February 24, 2009

If winter ends...

The date is July 14th. A Saturday as a matter of fact... it's 82 degrees out. You know, that amazing mid-July weather where it's just hot enough to get a great tan and enjoy the warmth of the sun but not SO hot that you're dripping sweat like a popsicle does on the face, arms, etc of a toddler? Yea. It's that kind of day. It's 11am, and the party is just arriving. First to arrive of course is the family... Aunt Barbara and Ellen stumbling up the driveway carrying so much food and treats that they can't even see over the massive piles they're holding. I rush out the front door to assist them, when to my surprise I see that Babs has made her famous truffle! As the rest of the family arrives, I pop open my first Corona of the afternoon. Nothing says summer like a Corona with a lime. As my friends begin to arrive, some with more food [Michelle] yet most with styrofoam coolers filled to the brim, others toting massive coolers-on-wheels, I can't help but smile. My kinda friends... I lead them to the backyard where the deck is booming with people mingling, the grill is getting fired up, and wiffleball is about to begin. We choose teams and rush the field. My backyard is probably the most amazing wiffleball setup known to mankind. See, behind my house there is a pond. No maybe a reservouir? Who knows, who cares. All I know is that it's amazing for 3 things: ice skating, fishing (when you can get through all the weeds and it is fully stocked up with fish), and of course, a landmark for hitting homers from my backyard. Over the fence and into the "pond?" HOMER. No questions asked. You got it. My Dad and my Uncle Bill are probably the Home Run Kings of the field at our 508 abode, and since I haven't played since I was a tot... I plan to change that this summer. Anyways, the game starts. After a few base hits, I decide to give up my ambitions at a homer or 9 and decide to continue mingling. I can already see the tan lines appearing as my tank top strap gets moved aside as I run after my little cousins, and I can't help but smile. I grab another Corona... hell, make it two. Dad's got the first round of dogs and burgs just about done and Mom's bringing out the potato salad and buns. The UMass crew is of course setting up beirut and slip and slide on the other side of the deck. Of course checking for rocks first... I turn the TV on outside in the screened in deck... the Sox game is just about to start against the NY STANKEES. The music is blaring. Laughter fills the back yard. It's a beautiful day.





So for now I scream for the sunlight, or a car to take me anywhere. Just get me past this dead and eternal snow, cause I swear that I'm dying, slowly but its happening. And if the perfect summer is waiting somewhere, just take me there. Lie to me and tell me that it's gonna be OK...

2 comments:

DKC said...

Darling, that was beautiful!

And it will end. I promise.

<3

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

That's my summer too, cousins and whiffle ball on the Cape.

It's coming, I promise. It's almost March.